Region Latin America
December 05, 2012
This is the English translation of the petition for an inclusive recycling in Bogotá, Colombia.
Gustavo Petro @petrogustavo, Mayor of Bogotá: I want your guarantee of real inclusion of all waste pickers in Bogotá.
On December 18th, the agency of the district government which is responsible for waste management in Bogotá, UAESP, plans to deliver new contracts to fictitious waste picker organizations. It is demonstrating once again a lack of compliance with its agreements, and jeopardizing the livelihoods of thousands of waste pickers and their families.
In December of 2011 the organized waste pickers of Bogota won another legal battle, as they have been doing during the last 27 years, defending their rights to continue working in their trade. One year ago, the Constitutional Court supported the petition of the waste pickers http://bit.ly/auto27511, putting the brakes on a tendering process for the collection of waste worth 1.7 billion dollars which did not guarantee the inclusion of waste pickers in the new mechanisms of waste collection.
Please help us to:
- Prohibit the appearance of fictitious waste picker organizations in the contracts as of December 18, 2012.
- Strongly promote the delivery of recyclable materials to waste pickers through source separation mechanisms.
- Remunerate and compensate the collection and recuperation services provided by the waste pickers.
- Create an autonomous entity for control and verification, which does not respond to special interests or imposter organizations, and guarantees the inclusion of all of the waste pickers of Bogota.
- Recognize the Constitutional Court ruling in favor of waste pickers and the Association of Waste Pickers of Bogotá (Asociación de Recicladores de Bogotá) for its historic defense of all waste pickers.
Recycling for waste pickers, recycling without imposters!
Click here for the Spanish version and to sign-on.