Dear waste picker groups and allies around the world,
In recognition of the urgent need to protect waste pickers against COVID-19 virus, we would like to collect and share recommendations for how waste pickers are protecting their health while maintaining their livelihoods. We are requesting information from you regarding the types of recommendations that waste pickers and their organizations have for occupational protection in the time of COVID-19 virus.
We plan to compile this information from around the world, have it reviewed by doctors within our network to ensure that we are not spreading any risky advice, and then share strategies and recommendations with our network of waste picker organizations. If you have some recommendations or strategies to share with us, please do so as soon as you can.
It would be helpful to know the following information:
- Name of your organization and contact information.
- Location of your organization.
- Type of services provided (door to door collection, informal picking, dumpsite picking, etc).
- Strategies that waste picker have for protecting themselves.
- Recommendations and training/outreach strategies that your organization is providing to waste pickers.
- Are you making any requests to residents to dispose of their waste differently right now?
- Specific challenges you are facing in the face of covid19.
- Specific requests your organization is making to the government or others regarding the protection of waste pickers or informal workers more generally.
You can reply to this message with your response or leave a comment in the page dedicated to this globalrec.org/covid19 in our website.
Thank you and sending health and solidarity to you all.
The Global Alliance of Waste Pickers