On March 15, at 2pm Indonesia time, shelters of members of Ikatan Pemulung Indonesia (Indonesia Waste-pickers Union – IPI) were burned near Bantar Gebang Landfill (in Bekasi, West Java, Indonesia. They reported that 70 non-permanent homes/huts were burned in Ciketing, Sumur Batu Village in Bantar Gebang Subdistrict, Bekasi City, West Java Province and that about 250 waste pickers lost their homes.
Firefighters received the call at 3:15pm western indonesia time and went to the local with 7 fire trucks. It took them 2 hours to put out the fires.
No casualties were reported, but losses are estimated at IDR 300 million (approx, €19,000) and a burned area of 1,000 square meters.
The cause of the fire is suspected to be an electrical short circuit. The owner was away, and so the fire quickly spread to surrounding homes due to the large amount of flammable materials/rubbish in the area.
The case is now being investigated by the sub district police and Bekasi metro city police. According to a media interview with Bantar Gebang Subdistrict Police, authorities are collecting data on the waste pickers and are going to find shelter for those who do not have relatives to turn to.
What IPI has done so far:
- Opened up donations from IPI organisers and other waste picker members;
- Set up a soup kitchen for victims of the fire;
- Provided medical assistance for the victims in medical clinic and Bekasi City Hospital;
- Provided staple food packages for waste pickers who were victims of the fire.
IPI hopes to be able to build more adequate homes for the waste pickers in the near future.
Donations to IPI
This is the bank account of IPI, they are accepting donations:
- Full name of account holder: PERKUMPULAN PEMULUNG INDONESIA MANDIRI
- Bank name: BANK RAKYAT INDONESIA (BRI)
- Bank branch: JAKARTA RAWAMANGUN
- Account number: 0386-01-002546-53-9
- Swift code: BRINIDJA
- Bank address:Bank Rakyat Indonesia (BRI)
Kantor Cabang Jakarta Rawamangun
Jalan Raya Rawamangun, East Jakarta 13220
- Full address of IPI: Ikatan Pemulung Indonesia (IPI) Pemulung Indonesia Mandiri (PMI)
Jalan Pulo Lentut Kampung Jengkol RT 02/06
Kel. Rawa Terate, Kec.Cakung, East Jakarta 13920, Indonesia
Share in Twitter:
Waste picker shelters burned in Bantar Gebang Landfill #Indonesia. IPI (Indonesia Waste-pickers Union) has opened up donations and provided assistance to the victims and works to provide better homes soon! pic.twitter.com/qlP7xgaovs
— ♻️ Global Alliance of Waste Pickers (@globalrec_org) March 25, 2022