Region Latin America
May 12, 2022
The national and regional assembly of waste pickers was held in Panama City from April 21-25, and was part of the knowledge transfer process for the professionalization of waste pickers in the Republic of Panama “Professionalization of the Grassroots Recycler”.
Organized by the Latin American Network of Waste Pickers (REDLACRE) and the National Movement of Waste Pickers of Panama, and supported by the Global Alliance of Waste Pickers (Globalrec), the assembly was attended by leaders, colleagues and supporters from several countries, including Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Uruguay, El Salvador, Guatemala, Brazil, Ecuador and Argentina.
During the 5 days, the recyclers attended informative workshops that promoted the exchange of knowledge between the different organizations and recyclers – such as “analysis of public policies for recyclers”, “the plastic crisis” and “recyclers’ non-negotiables” – and private assembly sessions, where a new president and new secretariats were elected.
Marcha por el #DíaDeLaTierra en Panamá con recicladores y compañeros de America Latina! Reciclaje sin recicladores és BASURA! 🌳🌎🚨💪🏽 pic.twitter.com/YR4xuNaRBC
— ♻️ Global Alliance of Waste Pickers (@globalrec_org) April 22, 2022
The event also included the first global climate strike, with the objective of taking to the National Congress their demand for a Socially Inclusive Packaging Law, as well as the DELIVERY OF A DOCUMENT written by the leaders TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY that demands recognition, remuneration and protection of the work of waste pickers in Panama.
Below you can find the agenda with the activities of the assembly, as well as the list of all the organizations that will participate in the event.
Transfer of expert knowledge.
World Earth Day March.
Human Rights and Calculator
- AVINA Workshop
- GAIA Workshop
- Global Alliance of Waste Pickers Workshop
- Red Lacre Assembly
- Technical agreements and review of work plans: Project alignment + TDR advocacy. Tools: Value chain, stakeholder map (IGO) and identification of leadership, form tons used and people; theory of change.
April 25, 2010
- National Movement of Recyclers of Chile (MNRCH).
- Association of Recyclers of Bogota (ARB)
- National Association of Recyclers (ANR)
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Rep.
- National Movement of Cartoners and Recyclers of Brazil (MNCR)
- Argentine Federation of Cartoneros, Carters and Recyclers (FACCyR)
- National Network of Ecuadorian Recyclers (RENAREC)