We are hiring an International Alliance of Waste Pickers Communication officer. Please share broadly. Submit before July 31st August 7th, 2023!
About the role and responsibilities
The International Alliance of Waste Pickers (IAWP) is seeking a highly skilled and passionate Communications Officer to join our team. We prefer candidates based in Africa and the Asia-Pacific regions to apply to ensure geographical balance and diversity in the existing IAWP team. We particularly welcome applications from individuals belonging to waste pickers organizations, marginalized communities, indigenous peoples, disabled individuals, organizers, or activists within social, labour, and environmental movements, with a background in communications.
About the International Alliance of Waste Pickers (IAWP)
IAWP is an international union committed to advancing the rights and strengthening organizing of waste pickers, who play a vital role in managing waste, and contributing to recycling and other aspects of sustainable development. IAWP has a long history of being an informal coalition of waste pickers movements starting in 2008. IAWP, as a networking process, has been engaging in international discussions on climate change, plastic pollution, labour and social protection norms, among others. At this point, IAWP is in the process of becoming a formal entity, with its constitution approved by waste pickers’ movements around the world in October 2022. In April 2024, IAWP will be hosting its first international elective congress to elect the duty bearers of the organization.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and implement comprehensive communication strategies aligned with IAWP’s objectives outlined in its constitution. Monitor and evaluate communication impact, adjusting strategies as needed.
- Create engaging content for various channels, including articles, press releases, newsletters, blogs, and social media posts.
- Manage the organization’s website and social media platforms, ensuring accuracy and user engagement.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists and media professionals to amplify our messaging.
- Collaborate with diverse stakeholders to promote the rights and interests of waste pickers.
- Develop, maintain and update the content produced by/in collaboration with waste pickers’ organizations. This involves direct contact with waste picker organizations.
- Support fundraising efforts through crowdfunding and other initiatives.
1. Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience, or a bachelor’s degree with 8 years of experience in the same fields.
- Preferred experience in social, labour, or environmental movements and advocacy work.
- Demonstrated track record of successful communication campaigns and media relations, including experience with crowdfunding.
2. Communication Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (additional languages used for communication in Africa and Asia Pacific Region are a plus).
- Strong copywriting, editing, and proofreading abilities.
- Proficiency in crafting persuasive and engaging messages for diverse audiences across Africa, the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe.
- Passion for languages.
3. Digital Proficiency:
- Experience managing websites, content management systems, and social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, WhatsApp).
- Familiarity with graphic design software, video editing tools, and email marketing platforms.
- Ability to use WordPress and other similar web content management systems.
- Ability to use automated translation tools.
- Experience with remote work and online collaboration.
4. Strategic Thinking:
- Ability to develop and implement effective communication strategies.
- Strong analytical skills to assess communication impact and adjust tactics accordingly.
- Capacity to align communication efforts with organizational goals, capabilities (or existing resources)and priorities.
- Ability to come up with responses including crowdfunding for immediate situations such as dumpsite fires, evictions and other threats.
5. Collaboration and Relationship Building:
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team, online and cross-functional, culturally diverse environment.
- Experience building relationships with journalists, media professionals, designers and waste pickers.
- Strong interpersonal skills to engage with waste-pickers and other workers in informal employment.
Schedule and Remuneration
- This is a part time consultant contract position with a necessarily flexible schedule between the time of appointment and the end of June 2024 with the possibility of extension subject to satisfactory work performance and approval by the IAWP leadership.
- Remote work
- The pay rate will be negotiated according to experience, skills and the role and discussed with the successful candidate.
- Days worked must be accounted for. Days of work: 12 days a month, 7.5 hours a day.
- This is a part-time, home-based position. Therefore a computer and a stable internet connection are required, with occasional international travel.
Equal employment opportunity
We welcome you regardless of your gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, age, physical ability, or any other status unrelated to the performance of the job. Women based in Africa and Asia Pacific and those belonging to waste pickers organizations or marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are passionate about communication, social justice, and environmental sustainability and meet the eligibility criteria outlined above, we invite you to apply for this position.
- Comprehensive resume: Provide a detailed account of your education, work experience, and relevant skills, and should not exceed 2 pages.
- Cover letter or Cover video: Highlight your motivation to join IAWP and demonstrate how your qualifications align with the position. The letter should not exceed 500 words, or the video should not exceed 2 minutes.
- Portfolio or work samples: Include published or shot examples showcasing your communication campaigns and media relations experience.
- Choose one of the following assignments, and submit along with your application:
- Fundraiser Strategy: Plan a crowdfunding fundraiser to support 20 waste pickers affected by the Dandora dumpsite fire in Nairobi, Kenya. Waste pickers lost all the materials that they stocked from the last one week, and have no income or money left to support themselves or their families. The fundraiser should aim to raise USD 5000 within one month. Share the strategy in a PowerPoint presentation with a text size of 16 and a maximum of 5 slides.
- Protest Letter: Write a protest letter on behalf of the International Alliance of Waste Pickers addressed to municipal and regulatory authorities, as well as the Indonesian national government. The letter should express concerns regarding the eviction of waste pickers and informal waste and recycling workers and enterprises from the Bantar Gebang landfill site and its periphery in Jakarta, Indonesia. The letter should not exceed 600 words.
- Press Release: Draft 500 words press release condemning the crackdown by municipal authorities in Paris on the reuse market set up by waste pickers.
Please submit all the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 31st August 7th, 2023, and indicate in the subject of the email “Job Communications Officer”.