- About WAW
- List of Waste Picker Organizations
- Waste Pickers' Organizations Map
- Add your organization
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Year formed
- Registered in
- Formally registered
- English, Hindi, Marathi
- Type of members
- Members are waste pickers, Waste picker support organization
- Occupation of members
- Solid waste managers, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Non governmental organization, Non profit organization
- Organizational Reach
- Workplace of members
- Dumpsite, Open, Recycling center, Sorting center, Street
- Organization Structure
- Founder/ President Project Manager Project Coordinator, Safai Saathi (waste-pickers coordinator), Administration Officer, Accounts Head HR Safai Saathis (waste-pickers)
- Vision: Dignified life for every waste picker Mission: Eradicate the inhumane occupation of waste scavenging through formal employment, healthcare, education, and skills development
- Education and training
- Business & project management, Hygiene education, Leadership training, Learning exchange, Literacy & school, Mobilization, Rights & duties, Risks & health, Waste management
- Partnering organizations
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers.
- Donor, Donor funded, Government, Ngo funds
- Internal elections
- Women composition
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Child assistance programmes, Clean & healthy environment, Education programmes, Health care & insurance, Id cards, Occupational health & safety
- Safety & Technology
- Dust coats, Fire extinguishers, First aid kits, Gloves, Masks, No, Risk training,, Safety boots, Yes
- What kind of relationship exists with the municipality?
- Integrated into formal systems of source segregation, Providers of infrastructure
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Bottles, Cans, Electronic waste, Glass, Household items, Metals, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics, Shoe soles, Tetra brik
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- Buying materials, Cleaning, Collecting materials, Collecting waste, Collection of recyclables, Collection of waste, Recycling, Selling materials, Sensitization of locals, Sorting waste, Special collections from large generators of waste, Waste collection, Waste sorting
- Sorting Spaces
- Sorting center
- Challenges to access waste
- Availability of waste, Contamination from waste, Foul smell & contamination from waste, Lack of education & training, Negative attitude towards waste, Obtaining licenses, Price fluctuations of waste, Transportation
- Information source
- This information was provided by Aasra team to the Secretariat of the Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers.
Comments / Narrative
Aasra Welfare Association is a not-for-profit organization working for the welfare of waste pickers towards their holistic development through health, education and economic development. The organization was registered in 2015.
The founder of Aasra Welfare Association, Mr Haider Ali Sayyed, is passionate about the dry waste industry and has been working in this sector for the past 30 years. He started his career as a scrap dealer using handcraft. With the day-to-day activities, he gained phenomenal knowledge about the dry waste industry and waste pickers.
Waste pickers are the backbone of the recycling industry. Understanding the plight of the waste-pickers, Aasra Welfare Association was founded with the primary motive to better the livelihoods of the waste-pickers. Since the inception of Aasra Welfare Association, various activities have been conducted towards health and hygiene, financial and social inclusion of waste-pickers and their families. Workshops have been conducted to strengthen their community.