- Waste pickers Around the World (WAW)
- Ikatan Pemulung Indonesia (Indonesia Waste-pickers Union- IPI)
Jakarta Timur, DKI Jakarta, IndonesiaWebsite: si-ipi.com
- Year formed
- Registered in
- Number of groups
- Number of members
- Type of members
- Members are waste pickers, Members employ waste pickers, Waste picker support organization
- Occupation of members
- Itinerant buyers, Scrap dealers, Solid waste managers, Waste collectors, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Association, Community based organization, Membership based organization, Movement
- Organizational Reach
- Local, National
- Workplace of members
- Collection from companies, Dumpsite, Home-based, Landfill, Recycling center, Sanitary landfill, Slums, Sorting center, Street
- Organization Structure
- Chairman – Secretary General – Deputy Secretary-General – Treasurer – Head of Divisions - Members
- Organize waste pickers for the dignity of livelihood, security of land rights and for a cleaner environment.
- Education and training
- Hygiene education, Rights & duties, Risks & health
- Partnering organizations
- Indonesia Plastic Recycle
- Donor, Membership fees, Partners
- Internal elections
- Every 3 years
- Women composition
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Child assistance programmes, Education programmes, Health care & insurance, Id cards, Job creation & source of income, Legal assistance, Wedding & funeral benefit
- Safety & Technology
- First aid kits, Masks, Risk training,, Safety boots
- What kind of relationship exists with the municipality?
- Providers of infrastructure
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Bones, Bottles, Cans, Clothing, Electronic waste, Glass, Household items, Metals, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics, Shoe soles, Tetra brik
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- Buying materials, Cleaning, Collecting materials, Collecting waste, Collection of recyclables, Organizing collective events, Recycling, Selling materials, Sorting waste, Waste collection, Waste management, Waste sorting
- Sorting Spaces
- Sorting center / sorting workshops
- Challenges to access waste
- Contamination from waste, Foul smell & contamination from waste, Harassment from authorities, Lack of education & training, Lack of infrastructure & resources, Lack of recognition, Lack of tools, Negative attitude towards waste, Obtaining licenses, Price fluctuations of waste, Privatization, Transportation
- Information source
- The information was shared by Pris Polly, later the Alliance of Indian Wastepickers delegation visited IPI in Jakarta and learned about their work.
Comments / Narrative
IPI was established on 31st May 1991. The goal of the organization is to better the life of waste-pickers and other workers working in waste management. The members of IPI include waste-pickers, sorters, scrap dealers and aggregators. The organization has set up learning centres for the children of waste-pickers in informal neighbourhoods. They are spread across 26 provinces of Indonesia, with headquarters in Jakarta. The organization is registered as a community organization with 3.7 million members spread across the country. The organization has helped facilitate land rights, health insurance for its members. Apart from waste-pickers and other workers in the informal waste economy, IPI invites celebrities, socially active citizens to be a part of their association. They take their help to highlight the issue faced by the workers in the informal waste economy.