- About WAW
- List of Waste Picker Organizations
- Waste Pickers' Organizations Map
- Add your organization
- Waste pickers Around the World (WAW)
- Jan Vikas Society
Jan Vikas Society
Indore, Madhya Pradesh, IndiaWebsite: janvikassociety.com
- Year formed
- Registered in
- Formally registered
- English, Hindi
- Number of members
- Type of members
- Members are waste picker organizations, Members are waste pickers
- Occupation of members
- Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Association, Church organization, Community based organization, Network of cooperatives, Self-help group
- Organizational Reach
- Local, National
- Workplace of members
- Dumpsite, Fixed, Open, Recycling center, Street
- To accompany the people at the bottom of the society the poorest, unorganized, oppressed, marginalized and in particular the waste picking women, working children, and the domestic workers. To create awareness in the people on the protection of environment and promote activities of environment protection, like the use of non-conventional energy, promotion of organic farming, water conservation etc. To educate and empower the unorganized laborers to work for their integral development by collective action through community based organizations like cooperative society and trade union, as they work to earn a living on a sustainable basis with dignity and self-respect. To restore confidence in the poor and the migrant job seekers in the city of Indore by enabling them for employment or self-employment through vocational training, skill development and capacity building.
- Education and training
- Cooperativism & solidarity economy, Hygiene education, Leadership training, Learning exchange, Mobilization, Rights & duties, Waste management
- Partnering organizations
- VIVAT International-ECOSOC, The Alliance of Indian Waste-Pickers, GAIA, IGSSS-Delhi, Misean Cara-Ireland, Divine Word Missionaries-USA, Austria & Germany, Don Bosco Tech-Delhi.
- Aiw, Church organization, Civil society organization
- Donor funded, Interest on loans, Membership fees
- Internal elections
- Women composition
- 100,0% Most of the members are women
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Child assistance programmes, Education programmes, Health care & insurance, Job creation & source of income, Legal assistance, Occupational health & safety, Savings or credit scheme, Social & pension benefits, Training & advocacy
- What kind of relationship exists with the municipality?
- Providers of infrastructure
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Conflictual and/or problematic, Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Bottles, Cans, Glass, Household items, Metals, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- Selling materials, Sensitization of locals, Sorting waste, Training and capacity building, Waste sorting
- Sorting Spaces
- Sorting center
- Treatmet of organic materials
- Challenges to access waste
- Availability of waste, Exploitation, Harassment from authorities, Lack of education & training, Lack of infrastructure & resources, Lack of recognition, Price fluctuations of waste, Privatization
- Information source
- Jan Vikas Society provided the information to the Alliance of Indian Wastepickers secretariat.
Comments / Narrative
“Janvikas” is an NGO based in Indore, in the state of Madhya Pradesh in India. It was started in the year 2001 as an organ for social action in Indore. On 23rd April 2003, it became a Registered Society, under the Madhya Pradesh Societies Registration Act 1973, with the registration No.IND/6857. Janvikas has also been registered under section12-A (a) of the Income Tax Act 1961. The Income Tax Department has awarded the rank of 80-G to Janvikas Society, recognizing its services in the field of Child Labour and care to the poor and the marginalized groups of people.
Solidarity with the poor and the marginalized people in society is the main concern in all our activities. Janvikas works for the integral development of the underprivileged and marginalized people, who are deprived of their right to live as dignified and responsible citizens because of their ignorance, illiteracy and poverty.
Janvikas pays special attention to the welfare of the unorganized labourers, waste picking women and children, unemployed youth, street children, migrant and nomadic people. We collaborate with everyone making effort to create an environment of justice, peace and integrity of creation.