- Number of members
- Type of members
- Waste picker support organization
- Occupation of members
- Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Organizational Reach
- Organization Structure
- The cooperative society has an executive committee, management and a supervisory committee and the leaders are selected during the Annual General Meeting. Some positions are yearly while others are for two years or three years. The Chairperson and Vice chairperson take 3 years in the management committee. 12 members constitute the management committee, 7 men and 5 women. Recruitment of new members is done through the identification of groups in waste handling and through the sensitization of members to join the SACCO. The members pay a membership fee of 600 shillings. Records kept are the organization’s member’s registers, shares, receipt inventory, visitor’s book, registrations and pass books.
- Capacity building, social and economic empowerment of waste pickers, achieve efficient sustainable solid waste management in the city
- Partnering organizations
- KMC - support received is policy formulation for a period of two years. Kisumu Polytechnics - Capacity Building for a period of one year. Kenya National Federation of Cooperatives - capacity building for a period of one year. Ministry of Cooperatives - policy and regulations for a period of one year. ILO - funding for a period of two years. UNHABITAT/SIDA - funding for a period of two years.
- Donor, Waste picker organization
- Donor funded, Interest on loans, Self funded
- Internal elections
- Annually, every 2 years, every 3 years
- Women composition
Social networking sites
- Information source
- Africa 2009
Comments / Narrative
The long term goals of this SACCO are to evolve from a small micro-finance organization to a mainstream bank and to be able to manage waste not only in Kisumu, but in other urban areas.