- About WAW
- List of Waste Picker Organizations
- Waste Pickers' Organizations Map
- Add your organization
- Year formed
- Number of members
- Type of members
- Waste picker support organization
- Occupation of members
- Waste collectors, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Women´s group
- Organizational Reach
- Workplace of members
- Door to door, Dumpsite, Open, Street
- Organization Structure
- All female Management Committee comprising 7 women. Records kept by the group includes minute’s book, sales records, loan welfare records and registration fee records.
- Job creation, improve livelihoods, keep local area clean, contribute to cleaning the environment, information sharing, build up waste picker enterprises
- Partnering organizations
- ILO offers training for the members for a period of one year. KMC also offers training for the members for a period of five years. BAMATO offers market outlets for a period of five years. HAKI JAMII offers training in human rights for a period of two years. KISORA (Kisumu Social Rights Association) also offers training in human rights for a period of two years. KIWAMA Association provides networking for 6 months. KIWAMA SACCO offers training in financial management for 6 months.
- Self funded
- Internal elections
- Every 2 years
- Women composition
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Clean & healthy environment, Job creation & source of income, Savings or credit scheme
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Charcoal, Metals, Other, Paper and cardboard, Plastics
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- New items made from collected materials, Selling materials, Sensitization of locals
- Challenges to access waste
- Foul smell & contamination from waste, Lack of education & training, Lack of infrastructure & resources, Price fluctuations of waste, Transportation
- Information source
- Africa 2009
Comments / Narrative
Sawdust and charcoal are turned into briquettes and the group sensitize the community on the importance of using briquettes in place of charcoal.