Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, IndiaWebsite: streemuktisanghatana.org
- Year formed
- Registered in
- Formally registered
- Hindi, Marathi
- Number of groups
- Number of members
- Type of members
- Members are waste picker organizations, Members are waste pickers
- Occupation of members
- Solid waste managers, Waste collectors, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Federation, Federation of cooperatives, Self-help group, Women´s group
- Organizational Reach
- Workplace of members
- Collection from companies, Door to door, Dumpsite, Fixed, Home-based, Open, Slums, Street
- Organization Structure
- President-Secretary-Treasurer-Manager-Community members
- Education and training
- Cooperativism & solidarity economy, Hygiene education, Leadership training, Learning exchange, Literacy & school, Rights & duties, Risks & health, Waste management
- Partnering organizations
- Stree Mukti Sanghatana (SMS)/ Parisar Baghini Vikas Sangha (PBVS)/ The Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers.
- Donor, Donor funded, Local population pay fee, Membership fees, Ngo funds, Partners, Self funded
- Internal elections
- Every 3 years
- Women composition
- 100,0% All members are women
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Child assistance programmes, Clean & healthy environment, Education programmes, Health care & insurance, Id cards, Job creation & source of income, Legal assistance, Occupational health & safety, Savings or credit scheme, Training & advocacy
- Number of credit / saving members?
- Safety & Technology
- Dust coats, First aid kits, Gloves, Masks, Safety boots
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Biodegradable waste, Bottles, Cans, Clothing, Electronic waste, Glass, Household items, Metals, Organics, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- Cleaning, Collecting materials, Collecting waste, Collection of recyclables, Collection of waste, Community sale of materials, Community storage of materials, Composting, Organizing collective events, Recycling, Selling materials, Sensitization of locals, Sorting waste, Training and capacity building, Transportation, Waste collection, Waste management, Waste sorting
- Sorting Spaces
- Sorting center
- Treatmet of organic materials
- Biogas, Composting
- Challenges to access waste
- Availability of waste, Contamination from waste, Exploitation, Foul smell & contamination from waste, Harassment from authorities, Lack of education & training, Lack of infrastructure & resources, Lack of recognition, Lack of tools, Negative attitude towards waste, Price fluctuations of waste, Privatization, Transportation
- Information source
- The PSVS coordinator provided this information to the Alliance of Indian Wastepickers secretariat.
Comments / Narrative
The federation of wastepickers groups providing waste management services in Navi Mumbai.