- About WAW
- List of Waste Picker Organizations
- Waste Pickers' Organizations Map
- Add your organization
- Year formed
- Registered in
- Formally registered
- English, Hindi
- Number of members
- Type of members
- Waste picker support organization
- Occupation of members
- Solid waste managers, Waste collectors, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Network, Sole trader and/or business
- Organizational Reach
- Workplace of members
- Door to door, Recycling center, Sorting center, Street
- (i) Professionalization of Waste Workers: - Provision Occupational IDs - Training Sessions to improve Efficacy of work performed - Capacity Building Workshops for Long Term, Short Term and Life Skills - Provide Accessibility to Govt. Schemes - Biannual Health Camps(ii) Minimize Waste from Landfill: - Streamline Collection and Transportation of Waste - Increase Rate of Material Recovery & Processing of Waste in City(iii) Behavioural & Visible Change in Stakeholders (Administration, Citizens, Tourists, RWAs, NGOs etc.) - Create Awareness of Source Segregation and Anti – Littering - Increase the Rate of Source Segregation - Improvise Culture of Recycling amongst Citizens(iv) Sustainability of Holistic SWM System: - Provide Incentives for Waste Workers for maximum efficiency - Increase Revenue for Contractor/ Municipal Administration through Sales of Processed Waste
- Partnering organizations
- The Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers, Stree Mukti Sanghatana, SWaCH, Nestle, Godrej
- Donor, Partners
- Internal elections
- Women composition
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Id cards, Job creation & source of income, Occupational health & safety, Training & advocacy
- Safety & Technology
- Gloves, Masks, Safety boots
- What kind of relationship exists with the municipality?
- Providers of infrastructure
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Biodegradable, Biodegradable waste, Bottles, Cans, Clothing, Glass, Household items, Metals, Organics, Other, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics
- Collecting waste, Collection of recyclables, Collection of waste, New items made from collected materials, Sensitization of locals, Sorting waste, Street sweeping, Training and capacity building, Transportation, Waste collection, Waste management, Waste sorting
- Challenges to access waste
- Contamination from waste, Lack of infrastructure & resources, Obtaining licenses, Price fluctuations of waste, Transportation
- Information source
- The information was provided by Suraj Nandkumar to the Secretariat of the Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers.
Comments / Narrative
Recity Network Pvt. Ltd. is an Urban Resource Management company at city level focusing on Waste Management. To bring about a Systemic Change, Recity works at grassroots level so as to address 2 (Two) main problems, namely – Lack of incorporation of the Informal Sector into the Solid Waste Management (SWM) System and Lack of Implementation of SWM, 2016.
Recity wishes to achieve 03 Outcomes in every city that it is present in, so as to mitigate the problems identified – (i) Divert 70% Waste from Landfill, (ii) Professionalization of Waste Workers and (iii) Holistic adoption of SWM, 2016 by the Municipal Body.
Recity aims to create a sustainable impact through an Inclusive Model that accounts for complete participation of all Key Stakeholders and Waste Pickers and Sanitation Workers in the city. It is through professionalizing and enhancing the entitlements claimed by Waste Pickers and Sanitation Workers, setting up of a robust Waste Value Chain, Recity achieves the Diversion of Waste from landfill and Holistic Implementation & Adoption of Solid Waste Management Rules 2016.
Waste Picker Group City: Mumbai, Mussoorie, Nainital, Dalhousie