- Year formed
- Registered in
- English, Hindi
- Type of members
- Members are waste pickers
- Occupation of members
- Itinerant buyers, Itinerant workers, Scrap dealers, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Membership based organization, Non governmental organization, Non profit organization
- Organizational Reach
- Local, National
- Workplace of members
- Collection from companies, Companies, Door to door, Dumpsite, Fixed, Landfill, Open, Other, Recycling center, Slums, Sorting center, Street
- Organization Structure
- Safai Sena works through local fortnightly meetings, one monthly meeting with leaders, an annual meeting and through various committees, We have voted for leaders from every area. They are responsible to help Safai Sena to solve local problems, to help network with local elected representatives and to share any news that is important, as well as keep our monthly meeting regular. Leadership structure: 1. President 2. Vice President 3. General Secretary 4. Treasurer 5. Ten Executive Members
- Safai Sena's objective is that adult waste handlers must be able to upgrade their work to green jobs, which means that apart from being good for the environment, our work should be safe, respected recognized and clean for us.
- Education and training
- Hygiene education, Leadership training, Learning exchange, Literacy & school, Mobilization, Rights & duties, Risks & health, Waste management
- Partnering organizations
- Chintan Environmental Research & Action Group
- Membership fees, Ngo funds, Self funded
- Internal elections
- Women composition
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Clean & healthy environment, Education programmes, Id cards, Job creation & source of income, Legal assistance, Occupational health & safety, Social & pension benefits, Training & advocacy
- Safety & Technology
- Risk training,
- What kind of relationship exists with the municipality?
- Integrated into formal systems of source segregation
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Biodegradable, Biodegradable waste, Bottles, Cans, Clothing, Electronic waste, Glass, Household items, Metals, Organics, Other, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics, Shoe soles, Tetra brik
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- Collecting materials, Collecting waste, Collection of recyclables, Collection of waste, Community storage of materials, Composting, Organizing collective events, Selling materials, Sensitization of locals, Sorting waste, Special collections from large generators of waste, Street sweeping, Training and capacity building, Waste collection, Waste management, Waste sorting
- Sorting Spaces
- Sorting center / sorting workshops
- Challenges to access waste
- Exploitation, Foul smell & contamination from waste, Harassment from authorities, Lack of education & training, Lack of infrastructure & resources, Lack of recognition, Lack of tools, Lack of unity between organizations, Negative attitude towards waste, Obtaining licenses, Price fluctuations of waste, Privatization
- Information source
- Balmukund Kumar, Assistant Manager, Safai Sena Secretariat Programme provided this information to the Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers.
Comments / Narrative
Safai Sena means an army of cleaners. We are a registered group of waste pickers, doorstep waste collectors, itinerant buyers and other small waste material buyers, small junk dealers, and other types of recyclers. Safai Sena’s vision is that adult waste handlers must be able to upgrade their skills to access and create green jobs, which means that apart from being good for the environment, our work should be safe, respected, recognized and clean for us. Our dream for our children is that they go to school instead of becoming waste pickers.