- About WAW
- List of Waste Picker Organizations
- Waste Pickers' Organizations Map
- Add your organization
- Waste pickers Around the World (WAW)
- Samman- Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, IndiaWebsite: janvikassociety.com/activities-2/empower...
- Year formed
- English, Hindi
- Number of groups
- Type of members
- Waste picker support organization
- Occupation of members
- Waste collectors, Waste pickers
- Type of Organization
- Church organization, Community based organization, Self-help group
- Organizational Reach
- Workplace of members
- Door to door, Dumpsite, Fixed, Home-based, Landfill, Open, Slums, Sorting center, Street
- Organization Structure
- Director Project Coordinator Asst Coordinator 2-3 Field Workers supporting the work of Self Help Groups
- Self- help groups for women and youth (girls) Community Based Organizations Tailoring Classes Computer Classes Bridge Course Tuition Centre Children's Parliament Beauty Parlour Martial Art
- Education and training
- Leadership training, Learning exchange, Literacy & school, Risks & health
- Partnering organizations
- Janvikas Society, Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers
- Donor, Donor funded, Ngo funds
- Internal elections
- Women composition
- Majority of them are women
Social networking sites
- Member benefits
- Child assistance programmes, Clean & healthy environment, Education programmes, Id cards, Savings or credit scheme, Training & advocacy
- Number of credit / saving members?
- What kind of relationship exists with the municipality?
- Integrated into formal systems of source segregation
- How is the relationship with the municipality?
- Excellent and/or friendly
- Types of materials
- Bottles, Cans, Clothing, Electronic waste, Glass, Household items, Human waste, Metals, Paper and cardboard, Plastic, Plastics, Shoe soles
- Are they selling to middlemen?
- Collecting waste, Organizing collective events, Street sweeping, Training and capacity building, Waste collection
- Challenges to access waste
- Availability of waste, Lack of education & training, Lack of infrastructure & resources
- Information source
- Form submitted to the Alliance of Indian Waste-pickers
Comments / Narrative
Area of work of Samman
Self Help Groups
Waste pickers are faced with problems related to poverty, illiteracy, lack of skills health care etc. These are problems that cannot be tackled individually but can be better solved through group efforts. Today these Self Help Groups that are started by SAMMAN in Bhopal city have become the vehicle of change for the poor and marginalized migrants in the Bhopal City. Women consisting of 11 – 15 members in each group. These women pay more attention to the empowerment of women and children especially those involved in the waste-picking. SHGs create in them confidence and courage to address and take up varied issues concerning themselves and the community. Regular saving and link with banks help them for their economic development.
Slum Development Committee
Community participation/leadership determine the success of the upgrade. SAMMAN has formed Slum Development Committees in the slums consisting of women, men and youth as members. These committees meet once a month and discuss the various issues related to their areas and try to solve them. They become more and more responsible and develop leadership skills.
Training and Capacity Building
Capacity building of waste-pickers/door to door collectors is done through regular meetings, training on Leadership, RTI (Right to Information), RTE (Right to Education), Government Schemes, Health and Hygiene. The exposure visits to Indore, Pune and Bangalore have helped them in capacity building.
Youth Animation Programme
Youth empowerment is a process where children and young people are encouraged to take charge of their lives. Youth groups are formed consisting of 20 youth per group. They do this by addressing their situation and then take action in order to improve their access to resources and transform their consciousness through their beliefs, values, and attitudes.